Tuesday, November 13, 2018

The measure of a good life


The measure of a good life? 
No childhood traumas, or giant student loan debts. Married to a soul mate. No skeletons in the closet. No recycling in the trash. Polished shoes. Good Health. Happy families and nice cars. 

Where is the line that says "we've done well"?

We might agree that everyone has been broken at some time on some level. 
Life on this planet is just hard.
And unfair. Skewed even to appear that meanness and madness reign.
Precious humanity teetering at the abyss of delusion and disappointment. 


Image result for cartoon person teetering on a cliff


We try desperately to survive it. Our existence consumed by the need to live. To feel we've lived. 
To check off the boxes on our bucket list of dreams and ambition. To face the conversations of what do we do with pride and satisfaction. To master the art of hiding what we cannot reveal. 

If we are fortunate, we are given the knowledge that where there is faith, there is hope. The light that shines in what might otherwise be darkness. 

We gather the necessities we need. Some wear masks. Some wear it on their sleeves. Some step aside. Or, like me, some become a chameleon. 

Image result for 1 Corinthians 9:22
A favorite Buddha quote says: " I am not who you think I am. You are who you think I am."

As an intentional spiritual human, I offer up my life to the will of God. 
As a mere mortal, I am subject to the flesh.  
I'm aware of choices that may have had certain unavoidable outcome. 
However, I believe my life has been messy on purpose to teach me about compassion and living in faith. 
To give me the story to tell. Maybe that is the Divine Order of the plan. 

"We know that all things 'work together for good',
then no matter what happens, the alchemy of God's providence
transfigures the ideal faith into actual reality." Oswold Chambers

This intricate relationship requires daily my willingness to subdue my ego, and let go of the notion of self-sufficiency. To release myself from the measuring sticks. To accept God's gift of grace and live like one who has been forgiven. To empty myself of all need to prove my worth. And to risk appearing terribly foolish. 

When all else fails, does my faith feed me and clothe me and comfort me? 

Yes, in fact it does. 

And that is my story. My life 'well-lived'.

Most autobiographies are written after the crisis has passed and restoration is either begun or established. This is not that.
As I am directed to put words in a row, right now I am still in the the wilderness.    
I don't know what is going to happen next or even if my idea of restoration is on the Divine agenda.

The point of view from here comes with a promise;
If I tell you anything about pain or suffering, I will also tell you about wondrous blessings and great love. 
My intention is to start writing here on my blog, and then at some point, put it all together in a book. 
If you would like to encourage me; follow me, comment, and share. 


1 comment:

  1. I'll long be pondering what you said here: "To accept God's gift of grace and live like one who has been forgiven. To empty myself of all need to prove my worth. And to risk appearing terribly foolish." Thank you SO much for this post of vast value to me...

    ReplyDelete