Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Broken hearts and happiness

If I were an artist and could paint a picture of my heart, it would be chipped and cracked and look like pottery that has been broken a million ways, put back together with gold. For every mar would be jeweled, sealed with the finest, softest, hottest liquid amber.
Can you imagine that picture?

I read a piece on grief the other day. The writer spoke of her unbearable suffering in loss of a loved one. She described in painful detail the darkest hours of her life. But in the end, she told the readers that if they too suffered as she had, that there was hope, that one day again they would be happy. She encouraged them to believe that life is a happiness journey.

I'm not sure I agree.

I think happy is like deciding what color shirt to wear. It's the external face. It's good and helpful to know how to be happy - sometimes a song will turn it on, sometimes a baby, sometimes a joke or piece of good news. But happy is an ongoing decision or reaction in the conscious mind. It's temporary.  It's vulnerable. If we depend on being happy to be happy, we may miss the journey.

Image result for a journey

Joy on the other hand is a spiritual infusion, a promise to claim. It is impervious to circumstance.
We feel joy when we are spiritually connected to God or people.

"Count it all joy, when you meet various trials, 
for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. 
And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." James 1:2-4

My distinction - happiness is a feeling, joy is our inheritance. Happiness is linked to our perceptions of how things are. Joy is linked to the truth of who we are.

"Blessed is the one who endures trial, for when he has stood the test 
he will receive the crown of life which God has promised to those who love him." 
James 1:12

Is it possible to be broken and smashed to pieces and also be radiant, filled with joy?
Yes. I am proof of that.
I guess that is ultimately my message; in spite of how one feels, or the trials we face, it is our true nature to be caught up in the joy that comes from knowing Divine love.
That is the gold that keeps our hearts whole.



Nehemiah said, “Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, 
and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. 
Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” 
Nehemiah 8:10 NIV

Side note - it will be impossible for me to write without including scripture. The Bible is as much a part of me as any other words that may come. I'm not certain that my writing exercises now are necessarily ordained, but I do hope you will be blessed. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Paula. Your wish has come true. I am SO blessed reading your sharing today. I'm with you on JOY. If one word would sum up my life's striving, as well as how I pray to manifest the abundant Grace in it, it is JOY. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete